Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Who Needs Toothpicks?

Sleep is the be all and end all of my well being. I love it.

Last night I lay there waiting for sleep to come. My eyelids so heavy I couldn't keep them open if I tried. Sleep, however, eluded me. I lay there, the Carpenters "Hurting Each Other" running through my head. Thinking how appropriate that song was. The medicine that is supposed to be helping, is depriving me of sleep. Lack of which is one of my known triggers for a headache. After an hour and a half, I trudged downstairs and took a benadryl. It bought me about two hours of sleep.

And I laid there, same song running through my head. I slowly watched the morning arrive. Mourning my lost sleep.

I also realized that I am prone to the rare, but annoying side effects of drugs. I am at least thankful that my side effects have never been in the life threatening category, okay there was one time. So most people get drowsy when on this drug. I get insomnia. Lucky me. So now I will be taking it in the morning. It can keep me awake when I need to be awake.

The problem lies with the fact that I am horrible at remembering to take medicine in the morning. It is easy at night. It is part of the locking up process. At the kitchen stop, I take my medicine. I have no set routine for the morning. My mornings are not all alike.

So give me ideas. How can I make sure that I remember to take it in the morning? So, a) it can be effective and b) not keep me awake at night.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I'm so sorry you've been having all these awful headache problems. I'm a headache sufferer too, but luckily not to the horrible degree of yours. I can't remember if I've suggested this before - I feel like I have, so sorry if I'm repeating myself - but have you tried acupuncture? My doctor of traditional Chinese medicine has done wonders for reducing the frequency and severity of my headaches.

As for remembering to take your medication in the morning... do you have another routine thing you always do, like make coffee? If so, you could put your medicine right on top of the coffee container so you can't make your coffee without first moving the meds. Just an idea.

Oh. And for insomnia, try taking a calcium/magnesium tablet at bedtime. Apparently the two together create a sedative effect. I find it works incredibly well to help me sleep if I take it about 30 minutes before getting into bed.

Good luck. I'm thinking of you and hope you get some relief soon.

Anonymous said...

Wow, is there no end to the excitement in your life? You are handling it well to be able to see the shiny silver parts. I am sad you are having so much trouble with migraines and sleep.

My suggestion is to tie your morning pill-popping to something you must do: use the toilet. You tape the pill bottle to the flush handle (get creative here), keep a water bottle on the counter to tie taking the pill to downing a FULL 16 ounces of water (something you don't want before something you do want), and you can start off the day well. I wonder if being dehydrated is part of migraine triggers.

I wish the best for you!
JenLin