Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day for sweetP

Today was sweetP's first day back. As always it turned into a mad scramble to get out the door.

It started with the wake up. Have I mentioned that he is not a morning person? But with the new staying up later thing, he has to get up without complaint or no staying up that night. So he rolled his cute self out of bed while I picked out some clothes. Then the trouble began, I picked a blue and white striped polo. Apparently that shirt is so "not cool, it is boring." So after a bit of discussion, he went off to find a cool shirt. Not to self, make sure to wear a cool shirt if you are wanting to make new friends. So he picked his shark t-shirt. Meanwhile, he was telling me the importance of looking cool and that he doesn't want to be seen as boring. Besides the polo is a church shirt. Mind you, we don't go to church. His grandma bought him that shirt for his birthday and he has yet to wear it. She goes to church. Is there a correlation, who knows. He also didn't like his white socks and went and found his one pair of black socks.

Once we got the shirt straightened out it was time for breakfast. I usually make pancakes for the first day of school. Since they have to eat earlier than we do all summer long, it should be something that they really like. For the first time ever, he didn't want me to precut his pancake. What the heck!? Mommy rejection all over the place. What does he think he is supposed to be growing up or something? What if I am not ready? I know rejection is a good thing, it means I am doing my job, but couldn't he space them out.

So we fly out the door and I completely forgot to take first day of school pictures or bring the camera. But we got him to school, returned his reading bingo, put money in his account and got him settled. He had a good day. He likes his teachers. With any luck of my worry will have been in vain. Now I can redirect all my worry where it belongs, on the chaos that is my school year.

Gotta go to bed, can't have a migraine for a week and half at least. If I do, I will have to just live with it. My students will be there tomorrow. Let's hope my first day goes as well as his did.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I love that streak of independence sweetP is displaying. He is growing up, and he has some definite ideas all his own. Get ready, Mom, there's more coming!

I hope you're feeling good for your first day. Pamper yourself a bit if you get the time. You deserve it.

-Ann said...

Wear a cool shirt! that's where I've been going wrong all these years.

:)

What age is SweetP?

Jadie said...

Ah, I know exactly who SweetP's teachers are now! (The clue was the plural "teachers"). And, I also know exactly what you've heard. (We will have to talk--I have three years of experience with her!) Don't worry, though. SweetP sounds like the kind of kid who'll get on her good side. And he will learn a ton. =]