Monday, October 12, 2009

Just to that Tree

I am not a runner. At least not since I was sweetP's age. My favorite line was that "I only run when chased." But every night I tie on my shoes and head out the door. Sometimes I just walk, sometimes I do running and walking intervals. I have watched my time per mile decrease. I have watched as guys in trucks do a double take as they drive by. Or adjust their rearview mirror as they go by. And I am enjoying the new loose quality that my clothes have taken on.

And I must admit that I like it.

Every morning I weigh myself. And the numbers are creeping up again. But I don't care. Because it is not the numbers on the scale that make me decide how I feel. I might stop getting on the scale. Because my clothes are a better gauge of how I am doing. And once upon a time it was drilled into me that muscle weighs more than fat. And I am getting more muscle. And it looks like less fat.

Now if only you could point out to your body where exactly you would like the fat burned from first. Because the place that it bugs me the most, is the place that holds onto it best. But I am persevering. And those stubborn spots will not win. I am more stubborn than they are.

So maybe that nine year old runner is still in me. At least some of the time. At least until I get to that tree, then I'll walk again.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I love this. How long ago did you start? It seems like it's been maybe a few months?

Jadie said...

You go, girl! Making those guys in trucks look again! You look great, btw!!

Wander to the Wayside said...

Good for you! I keep saying I'm going to walk every day, but it ain't happening. It takes self discipline, so you're not just turning weight into muscle, but also gaining self confidence because of your sticktoitiveness. Apparently I have none of that!

Cudos to you, and keep up the good work. It's a time when you can cleanse your mind - and hopefully blow those old migraines away!

laurie said...

oh, excellent, excellent, excellent and even more excellent!