Friday, June 29, 2007

New Priorities

Of all the things I prioritized that need to get done, I opt to do something that wasn't even on the list until today. In the past, I have created treasure hunts for my sweetP. Now sweetE is old enough to try one too. So I have been planning a two sided version so both boys will be active participants. These treasure hunts are rapidly becoming those treasured childhood memories we all strive to give our children. I have the photos ready for sweetE's half and the word cards printed for sweetP. I have the treasure, but then I didn't have anything to hide it in. Hence my new priority.

Since I plan to continue creating these hunts for the boys for years to come, I needed a treasure box. I didn't want to go to the store and try to find one. So I decided I needed to make one. For this hunt. Today. New priority. So I have spent the evening covering a shoebox in Elmer's glue, shredded and crumpled lunch bags and gold paint mixed with more Elmer's. My original plan for this evening was to continue organizing and cleaning my room (formerly referred to as the pit of despair and currently on the priority list). But here I am getting gluey to add to the magical quality of tomorrow or Sunday's treasure hunt. All I have left to do is put a coat of sealant over the whole thing and Wa-laa, the golden treasure box. And make a treasure map. And hide the treasure where X marks the spot. And maybe work on that other priority list.

But it will all be worth it when the boys race off excited to find their treasure (Star Wars Lego figures!) in the new treasure box. And at least for a little while I will be "the best mom in the whole world" and all those not so great mommy moments from this crazy week will be forgotten. And one day when they are old (in their 20's or 30's) and they are reminiscing, it will be the treasure hunt that they remember, not that we all had a grouchy week and were snarky with each other.

No comments: