Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Upheaval

The planning stage of any project is so exciting. You get to make fun decisions, figure out what you want to do, dream of the end result. No pressure. Then there is the doing of the project. Specifically, a home remodeling project. Decisions must be made and agreed upon and executed. Individual styles must be honored, compromise must be found. Problems avoided or solved. It is just plain hard work to do the project. I love remodeling, but it causes major upheaval in your life. My Ducky does not like remodeling projects. He wants the end result, but would rather avoid the whole mess. We have embarked on upheaval today.

We have been talking about all the things we want to do to this house to make it our own. For years. It was always determined that all the smallish projects hinged on one medium project. No point in working on the smallish projects if we have to go back and redo parts of them later. So there has been a lot of talk and not much action. Until now. Tomorrow, we turn the stairs. And when you turn the stairs you need to paint. And redo the floors. And put in new moulding. And patch up any little oops spots. And then move back in and collapse.

And sometimes you learn that you and your beloved spouse do things really differently. Really, really differently. You've known for a long time that each of you approaches problems from opposite sides and it has worked out okay. But remodeling has a reputation for putting stress on a relationship. I am hoping for a quick and surprise free project. I am ready to sit and enjoy the results.

2 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

So, are the infamous stairs turned yet? I'm still amazed that you can do such a thing as "turn stairs". That is some serious remodeling! I hope it has gone well and that your home and marriage are still in tact!

I got the book club book from the library today. We leave for a 3-week trip to Utah tomorrow. I'm actually looking forward to the long car ride so I can read!!

ped crossing said...

The stairs and the marriage are so far, so good. :) I got the book, but it has yet to engage me. I am a little preoccupied with my other project. I hope you are having a fabulous time in Utah and are able to acclimate to the desert climate.