Thursday, July 5, 2007

Traffic Signals

I was reminded today of how traffic signals have an uncanny ability to cause grief and distress. They are a wonderful invention. They help traffic move smoothly and decrease the amount of stop and go when getting from point A to point B. But they can sense when you are late or when you really need to reach into the back seat.

The afternoon snuck past me today. All of a sudden it was 3:15 and I should be headed out the door to pick up my sweetP at camp. Instead, I was getting new shorts on my sweetE and trying to find my keys. So while I was not terribly late to get out the door, my cushion of extra time was non-existent. Because I have no extra time, I hit every light red. Somehow they knew that I was running behind and wouldn't I like some time to contemplate that. I did make it to camp and only two minutes late. However, my sweetP was the last camper to be picked up. He didn't seem to mind.

So on my way home I stop and pick up dinner from our all time favorite restaurant. We moved, it didn't, we miss it. I buy the boys a lemonade. It's a hot day and my sweetP has had a really busy day at camp. Back on the road, my sweetE decides to investigate the contents of his cup. He is not known for his great grasp of objects while in the car. Visions of a sticky interior are flashing before my eyes. I pray for a red light so I can get the lid firmly reattached to the cup. Green, as far as the eye can see. My sweetE finally decides to let his brother help him with his drink. I am holding my breath during the transfer, until I am told that the lid is once again securely on the top. Crisis averted.

The traffic lights just know when you want a red or a green and they refuse to cooperate. My sweetP was very understanding. When I apologized for being a little late, he just asked if I was stuck in traffic. What else could I say but yes. He rides with me a lot. I comment on traffic a lot. In the end, it all turned out OK today. I wasn't really late and one lemonade made it home safely in a cup or a tummy. Traffic lights will taunt me another day, but until then, I've got understanding boys.

No comments: