Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Best Thing

Once per day (occasionally more) I get to see the most wonderful sight. Before I go to bed, I go in and kiss my boys. And in the faint light of their nightlights, I get to see their calm, peaceful, cute little faces all relaxed in sleep. It is the very best thing in the whole world. At that moment I cannot love them any more. All the things they may have done that day that were irritating are quickly forgotten and just the warm, fuzzy moments are remembered. I think that is our gift for the hard work of parenting.

There are really fabulous moments during the day too, but you can't relish those in the same way. At night, I can just savor the moment with no interruptions. The rest of the house is asleep and I can just gaze at them like I did when they were really little babies and the world seemed to move at a slower pace. Now that they are older, the days are filled with activities, interactions, a rapid succession of moments. There is little time to just savor a special moment. So those minutes at night are the best thing.

No comments: