Thursday, February 18, 2010

Social Circles

Once upon a time, I was a party girl. I always knew where the party was and never had to make plans for the weekend. My how things change. Fast forward twenty years and I am a suburban mom. All my friends are suburban moms. My friends from high school, all married with kids. I skipped making the whole college circle of friends, hazard of marrying before college. That and my high school circle went to the same college I did. Then the work friends, married with kids. And finally the mom friends, married with kids.

My entire social circle is married with children. Wouldn't be a problem except for this little twist life sent me. So I have every weekend, kid free. And all of my friends are spending time with husbands or kids. So it appears that it is time to expand the social circle. The only problem is that life in suburbia, especially my neck of suburbia, does not lend itself to finding other people without weekend plans.

Oddly enough, my weekends have been pretty busy. I am looking forward to a a leisurely weekend this week. But I still need to find some friends that will be able to be spontaneous and not need a week of planning and a babysitter to go do stuff. So even though I planned to not start any new projects this year, it is feeling like a new project. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Ranell said...

Hey ... we may have husbands and kids, but husbands can stay home with kids on the weekends (sometimes) so we can still go out. So don't count us out completely!

I was thinking of getting a group of ladies together to go see the Celine Dion documentary that is in theaters. Does that interest you at all?

JSLindgren said...

Come hang out with us any weekend! Well, except this Friday. We just booked a yurt at the campground. But I love playing games, talking, puzzles, projects. . . movies (in small type since I know you don't).