Wednesday, December 17, 2008

An Unexpected Gift

The last two weeks have been stressful. It is a vicious cycle, get a migraine, get behind, get more stressed, get more migraines. In 14 days, I had six migraines. I was falling further and further behind at home, at work, everywhere.

But Mother Nature intervened with a most welcome and unexpected gift. Snow. We get snow so rarely that everything shuts down when we do get it. I am on my third snow day. Woo-hoo!

Last week I was shopping at a seasonal Christmas store and found this really cute ornament. It is an apple and on the back it says "I love snow days!" It was so perfect that I bought two, one for me and one for my teaching partner. It must have worked because we got our tree on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning it was snowing.

Monday, I played out in the snow with the boys for two hours. All I can say is thank you Columbia Sportswear, you kept me warm. We made cookies, frosted and decorated them. We hung out and enjoyed the day. No stress, no worries, just me and my boys. The boys attempted to make snow men in the afternoon. The snow was too dry and it was too cold, so they improvised.

After such a relaxing day on Monday, Tuesday was another snow day. So I got productive. Yesterday, I worked on laundry and put clean sheets on our bed. I thoroughly cleaned the living and dining rooms rather than my quick spruce up. The dog hair tumbleweeds were preparing to take over and were being fed by little boy crumbs under the table. Our house felt so clean and fresh when you walked in the door. Then I got to work on some projects.

I started these curtains nearly two years ago. I was making them for my girlfriends baby's room. I got the valances made before she arrived. But life has been just a little too hectic to get the actual curtains done. Now, there are blinds up in her room, so she has not been being blinded by the sun every day. I feel bad that it has taken this long, but I can only manage so much. I had taken a pre-made curtain. I had to hem it, add the decorative ribbon and then add blackout fabric. It didn't seem like much, but it took me about four hours per curtain. And eight hours for projects is hard to come by. I had finished one of the them two weeks ago and really wanted to get the other one done. So that was my Tuesday afternoon project. And now they are done! Aren't they cute. I still plan to make a crib skirt, but I don't have the measurements. So when I drop off the curtains, I'll measure. Maybe I will have that done before the new year.

I wasn't done yet. I had the urge to project some more. I have a goal to give up wrapping paper. I want to (slowly, over the years) make cloth bags to put gifts in. Granted they won't be as fun to rip into, but it will create so much less waste and save us money in the long run. And they can be beautiful too. So I decided to make one yesterday. I was watching TV with the boys and this one is hand stitched. I thought it turned out pretty cute. My thumb is a little sore today from pushing the needle through the felt.

Yesterday was very productive and and relaxing. I'm curious to see what today brings. And whether we will end up with a three week winter break. There is another storm arriving today with cold temperatures and more snow.

PS, this is my 300th post! I have never been this successful in anything that could be considered journaling in my entire life. And I have tried many times before.

8 comments:

Kim said...

My goodness, you've been busy. The curtains are adorable and I love the little bag, too. I have some felt bags we put gifts into under our tree as well. They last and look great year after year.

Kelly(M&M) said...

I am so happy for you and your well deserved unexpected break!! I am also very impressed with your motivation. I love the curtains, and I am so glad to hear you have been able to clean. I will admit I have been letting my kids watch a lot of TV and I have been trying to get projects done also. I wish we were enjoying the snow more, but they weren't too impressed after the first day or so. Thanks for your inspiration!

Jadie said...

I just got off the phone with you, and here I am blogging too! You DID have a productive Tuesday. I'm impressed! I would love to have a pattern for those gift bags...

laurie said...

wow. you are so productive!

i wish you could stop working. it's clearly affecting your health. even though i know you're very good at it and love it.

but six migraines in two weeks is really really wrong.

the rotten correspondent said...

I actually thought the same thing laurie did as I was reading this post. I don't suppose there's any way you could cut back?

Enjoy those snow days. They are absolutely the best.

the rotten correspondent said...

OH! And congrats big time on 300 posts! Way to go!

-Ann said...

Happy 300th Post and Happy Snow Day(s)! I love unexpected days off like that.

I had a work day cancelled once because a water pipe broke a few floors above us and it was raining in our office. That was awesome.

ped crossing said...

Laurie & RC - If I cut back any more they won't cover any of my health insurance costs. Health insurance is the main practical reason why I work. I am only half time and I am grateful that we can afford for me to be part time. I haven't had a headache since Sunday (knock on wood). Monday I thought I was getting one, but turns out I just needed some fluid in me. 12 oz. of water and it went away.