Sunday, December 28, 2008

Goodbye Snow


The temperature has risen since Christmas day. It has been a balmy 50-ish degrees outside the last few days. This morning when I looked outside, the snow was gone. There were a few short piles left where shoveled snow had been thrown. But the lawn was visible, the sidewalks were clear and my winter wonderland was gone.

I loved the snow. I didn't love the dirt, slush and ice mix nearly as much. But when it was fluffy and clean and beautiful, I loved it. I loved the extra days it gave me with the boys. I loved sitting in the family room by the crackling fire, reading or stitching or watching the tree. I loved feeling all snug in my house while the world was quiet outside. I loved that we had a brief bit of real winter.

Now, I am enjoying the return of our normally mild temperatures. I am washing the snow pants to put away until next year or until we go sledding. I am getting ready for the return of the mud monster (aka Velcro). There is rain in the forecast for the next ten days. Yup, we are back to normal.

The family didn't get quite enough of the white stuff. We decided that today we would go ice skating. Ducky and I have not been for nearly two decades. The boys have never been. Ice skates have changed! Once we got out skates on, we were off. I had been hoping that the ice would not have been freshly cleaned, and it wasn't. I took sweetE's hand and we stepped out onto the ice. Ducky and sweetP were right behind us.

After half a lap, sweetE was ready to hang up his skates. But, after the whole lap, he was ready for more. We went around again, he was getting the hang of it and my legs were getting back in the groove. Meanwhile, sweetP hung onto the wall like he would drown without it. I convinced him that if he held on with only one hand, it would be so much easier.

Periodically we would stop and rest in the hockey boxes. We traded boys every few laps. I found muscles I had forgotten that I had. The boys were getting better, we no longer got stuck behind other people on the wall. After a while, sweetE got so good that he was pulling us as we went.

The dreaded moment happened, sweetE turned and in my effort to avoid him, down we went. I got him picked up and made sure he was okay. He was shaken, but fine. Then couldn't hold his hand and get up at the same time. I had to walk to the side on my knees so I could get up. Then off we went again. With five minutes left of free skate, he was done and so was I. Ducky and sweetP were off for one more lap.

The rest of the afternoon and evening we have been asked if we "are going skating tomorrow" and "when are we going skating again?" I would venture to guess they had a good time. I wonder how sore I will be tomorrow?

3 comments:

-Ann said...

I got Peter to go ice skating once, in one of those outdoor rinks they set up in Chicago. He made it around the rink once, looking like Bambi the whole time.

There are a couple of special rinks they put up in Ireland, but it's so expensive to go. (Like $30 or $40 for two hours for one person!)

The last time I went ice skating was a few years ago, in Paris, on the first estage of the Eiffel Tower. That was awesome. :)

laurie said...

glad they loved it! getting up is, indeed, difficult.

i haven't yet gone this year. our weather has been too weird--either far too cold, or too melty. maybe things will even out in january.

Kelly(M&M) said...

I really enjoyed this post. I am glad you were able to enjoy the snow. Great for you to have extra time with your boys. I hope all the teachers enjoyed their extra break for all their hard work! I also loved your ice skating anecdote. We have yet to take our kiddos. Your story reminded me it is on my list. Enjoy the rest of your break.