Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Oh, My Velcro


To My Dearest Velcro,

Happy early Birthday. I don't know if you will make it to Christmas Eve. So just in case, here are many of the reasons I love you.

• Your little doggy eyes always light up when you see me.
• You have the most expressive face and ears.
• The zoom.
• You have been my most loyal friend for more than 13 years, more than most of my human friendships.
• Your nose juice is impossible to get off things!
• The hair right past your nose is one of the softest, most perfect places to touch.
• I was your person.
• You know how to say hi.
• That you would get stuck on the stairs trying to come upstairs to sleep by me.
• You always knew when I needed cheering up.
• You let the boys dress you up.
• You didn't complain when you got demoted.
• You were my first child and in some ways the most spoiled.
• I think you exploded hair on purpose.
• You are the only dog I know that fills and clogs a shop vac with your massive quantities of hair.
• How as a puppy you would roll from side to side in your doggy pool to cool off with a huge grin on your face.
• You made crunchy spots on the carpet when you got a new rawhide bone.
• Your nose drips and leaves little puddles.
• Your happy place is the beach.

Velcro, I'm not ready for you to go. But then again, I don't think I will ever be ready for you to go. I'm so sorry I couldn't take you with me when I left, but I thought you would be more comfortable in your house with your yard and a herd of boys to entertain you. But don't think I haven't missed your sweet self every day. My sweet, silly, wonderful, fuzzy, friend/dog/child. I will always love you.

My Ode to Velcro three years ago.

No comments: