Saturday, March 14, 2009

Motivation

I need something to light a fire. I am feeling ever so unmotivated. I have a bazillion projects, or at least it seems. But I am leery of jumping into any of them. I don't want to get neck deep into a project and then have to drop it because life got in the way. I have been getting things done. But I don't feel like I am making any headway in the big picture. Every where I look things appear completely overwhelming.

I have this problem that when things get too overwhelming, I just shut down and don't get any of it done. I counsel my students not to get in too deep, but feel myself doing that exact thing. I have a great quote on my classroom wall, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." I just can't choose the direction to start in. I loathe to do anything half way, but getting it done the way I want doesn't seem to be possible anymore.

So what am I to do? Maybe I will put together a vote of what project I should launch into and you can help me decide. But not until tomorrow. I need to go to bed if I am to avoid the germ factory within my house and the headache factory that is me.

2 comments:

K kid said...

I totally sympathize: I am at a very unmotivated point in my life right now. Same thing- lots of projects, I just need to pick one and do SOMETHING instead of lamenting how I'm not getting doing anything....

laurie said...

i like having projects but they also tend to hang over my head and feel like homework. can you enjoy being between projects? because surely one will come along soon.

in the meantime, i just came across a book i think you should read. it's called "a brain wider than the sky: a migraine diary," by Andrew Levy.

it's not published until may, but i bet you can reserve it with amazon.

here's the first sentence:

There is no line between the migraine and worrying about the migraine as one lies awake at five in the morning...