Thursday, March 5, 2009

He's Got the Look

Once upon a time, I got to choose sweetP's clothes. At the store, at home. I had fun picking out his clothes and enhancing his cuteness.

Somewhere along the line he has developed an opinion about his clothes. He has fashioned himself a look. He wears his look nearly every day. It looks something like this.

Jeans, preferably with ripped knees. At one time, he never went anywhere with ripped knees. "Ripped knees are cool mom."

Long Sleeve Underarmor. These were purchased to keep him healthy during soccer season. Now they keep him a comfortable temperature as he traverses the school. It is a known fact that the temperature in a school can vary by as many as 20 degrees. At least every school I have been in.

A short sleeve t-shirt. He has a few select favorites. Unfortunately, it never seems to be the one that I pick. Even if my choice was a favorite the week before. Then he proceeds to unfold and rummage through the entire drawer to find a certain one.

Tennis shoes. Always double knotted. The shoe tying is still a little shaky.

Every day of the week. Unless the two underarmors are dirty. Then he will choose a long sleeve tee to wear.

He is still cute, but I miss seeing him in a polo or sweater every now and then. Those generally only get worn when I play the "I'm the mommy card," in relation to picture day or some other special event. My little boy is not so little any more.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Just wait until he's 15.

I hung pictures in our hall not long ago of the children when they were little. I had forgotten how adorable middle son used to look in his mommmy-selected clothing. His every day uniform now is a pair of jeans, board shoes, a short sleeved t-shirt, preferably with a guitar, a band or some such on the front, and a zip front hoodie, but only if it's under 40 degrees.

Not long ago he had to put on a suit and tie, and I was amazed at how wonderful he looked. My little boy is still in there . . . somewhere.

laurie said...

at least it's an inexpensive look!

my sister always said she was glad to have three sons, no daughters. sons were cheap to clothe--tshirts, jeans, tennis shoes.