Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Perfection is Exhausting

I have always known that I am a perfectionist. In recent years, I have been able to narrow it down to selective perfectionism. I believe that if you are going to do something, do it well. I have little patience for doing things half way. So my expectations for myself have always been high. It is one thing when you have these expectations for yourself, another entirely when everyone else expects perfection from you as well.

In the preceeding months, I have been greeted with some version of "But you are the perfect _________ (friend, wife, mother, sibling, etc.)" from a significant number of friends and family members. It is like walking a tightrope with no safety net. One misstep and suddenly you fall from grace, with an audible splat. The stress from trying to live up to the expectations of so many has taken its toll. 74 migraines and counting, the year isn't over yet. I have been sick more this last year than ever. I sleep poorly.

So my motto for the coming year is just to be "good enough." It will be hard for this perfectionist to let it just be good enough. I hope to once again find health and happiness. And to the next person that even implies that I am or should be perfect, look out, you will receive an earful.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Good for you! I have slowly tried to give up my own perfectionistic ways over the years. I am here to tell you, like is MUCH more fun and fulfilling when you are happy with good enough.

Jadie said...

Here, here! I happen to find imperfection charming--not to mention a hell of a lot less intimidating! Here's to a good enough 2010!!

JSLindgren said...

I'd love to hear the monologue the next time you slip up and that perfectionist tendancy claims "you are/should be . . ."