Thursday, August 27, 2009

No, It Cannot Be Another Migraine

So in the continuing saga that is my head, I am really racking them up this month. Yesterday was migraine number ten. And today might just be number eleven, or a new record. I visited the neurologist a few weeks ago and we are trying a new medication to prevent them. I don't think it is working, I have had six migraines since I started the drug 16 days ago.

What do you think?

I have tried all four of the classes of drugs that they use to prevent. We are now onto a new drug in one of classes as we work our way around again. My heart rate is great, but I think that is the end of the effectiveness of this particular drug. I am supposed to be on it for two months before we switch. I may not make it. And I go back to work on Monday.

4 comments:

laurie said...

i don't know how you can function. how long do the migraines last?

i had lunch with a friend earlier this week who told me about two drugs she is on for her migraines. (acupuncture helped her for a while, then it quit being quite so effective. though it still helps somewhat.)

she's on fiorinal (which my mother used to be on, back in her migraine days) and imitrex.

the combination will usually knock out a migraine within an hour, though it doesn't prevent them in the first place.

i imagine you've already tried these, but i thought i'd tell you anyway, just in case.

Kim said...

Bless your heart. I have no experience at all with migraines. All I can do is wish for a solution for you and hope that migraine doesn't materialize today.

ped crossing said...

I use Amerge to stop them, but I am getting them more frequently than I am supposed to treat them. It works really well, but I may be heading for rebound headaches if I treat them too frequently. Hence the prevention drug. I just can't seem to find one that works for me. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

The boys and I feel for you every day you have one. They know when mommy hurts. Please, don't get one today. - Ducky