Saturday, August 15, 2009

He Finally Gets It

Quite a while ago I decided that sweetE would not go to Kindergarten when he was 5. We would wait. His birthday is so close to the cut off that it just seemed like a bad idea. Many people think that this is because he is my baby and I am not ready to let go just yet. But, in fact it has more to do with the students that I see and the difference between the youngest in the class and the oldest. The younger ones struggle so much more academically, socially and emotionally most of the time. There are exceptions to every rule, but sweetE has not given me any reason to believe he will be an exception.

This spring I was having to justify my decision to everyone, Ducky, sweetP, parents of sweetE's friends. Everyone thought he should go to Kindergarten. SweetP's reason was funny, he wanted to be sweetE's buddy at school. Ducky said he hated being the oldest. But one way or another sweetE was going to be the youngest or the oldest. I would rather that he have the extra maturity on his side.

Ducky has gone along with my plan grudgingly. So I have been repeatedly giving examples of why keeping sweetE back is a good idea. Ducky grumbles and agrees. But he never really got it.

Until he saw sweetE in action with his peers. Ducky is sweetE's assistant soccer coach. Last week, he came home and announced that he "finally gets it." After watching sweetE compared to the other kids on the team, he sees the difference that being so much younger makes.

I don't feel like I need to sell him on the decision to keep him back from Kindergarten anymore. SweetE gets to spend one more year in a small class where his teacher can take the time to help him settle in. Where he won't get lost in the crowd of kids and be overwhelmed by the expectations.

And he is still my baby after all. I might as well enjoy it while I can.

5 comments:

Kim said...

My son's birthday is in July. He was such a small little guy and young, too. I held him out of school when he was five even though he could have gone. He's always done well in school and has good grades. He'll be a sophomore in high school and tells me he is glad I held him out. One big advantage: he will start school this year at 16 and will be able to drive himself for three years of high school. He's a good driver, and it will be a great help to me. I think you're doing the right thing, for what it's worth.

My Aimless Infatuation said...

You are so right in keeping him back. My youngest's birthday was also on the border,but I sent him on,not knowing. He is grown now,but had such a hard time. Wish I had been older and wiser at the time. SweetE is so lucky to have you as a mom.

crazymamma said...

hey chicka bonita..i could not have agreed with u more about this decision. I remember going through that same thing with conner and it was you that helped me realize that is was ok to wait that extra year....so i am one who would fully agree...it has been soo nice! and oh boy i get to do the same things with gavin...i am just glad u went with what u belived to be true from the start...there is really no bad that can come with our kids being the oldest in their grade...it will be great!

LCM said...

I haven't heard anyone saying that they hated being the oldest, I was one of the youngest, and I hated that worse. Everyone always got to do stuff first. This way he always gets to do stuff first. Plus, he should feel more secure in himself when he starts as well. You know him best, I am glad you are sticking to your guns.
I was worried that Fiona was going to be a troublemaker, she has a November birthday, but is really intelligent. Luckily we had that extra year for her chemo.

Ranell said...

I totally, completely, 100% agree, which is why Michael is in SweetE's class, and he's not even my baby. See ya at school!