Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Because I Can

After hearing many of my friends talk about how stubborn their young children are and about how they just want to be independent I came to a bit of a conclusion.

I am very much in touch with my inner two year old.

I am fiercely independent. I hate to ask for help. I prefer to just do it myself, thank you very much. Tonight, I tried to break my toe rather than let Ducky move the chair part of our sectional while I was vacuuming. Because I could do it myself. It got caught on the rug and then skinned up my toe and made me almost curse out loud (there was a lot of cursing in my head). In the end, I let him move it back into place, but I wasn't happy about it. It's not that I don't want the help, it's just that I know I can do these things without help. I know it drives Ducky crazy, just the way that it drives my friends crazy that their kids don't want help. They want to be independent.

In my family growing up, you didn't ask for help. You just did it. You got the job done. You figured out a way to do it. And that mentality has stuck. It takes a lot for me to ask anyone for help.

Then there is that nasty little stubborn streak in me. It could have something to do with that whole independent thing. But once I make up my mind, then why go to all the trouble to make it up again. I thought about it, I did all the work, I'm done. It's not that my mind can't ever be changed, but there has to be a pretty convincing argument.

So my inner two year old is doing quite well. She is butting heads with my children, challenging my husband and keeping everyone on their toes.

Book Recommendation!! The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
It is a Young Readers Choice Nominee for 2009-2010 for the 4th-6th grade division. I just read it over the weekend and it is a great read filled with action, suspense, puzzles and mystery. It was a fun book for kids or adults.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Independent and stubborn? I can totally relate.

K kid said...

I am like that too... I absolutely hate to ask for help (the worst possible thing in the world would be to appear incompetent...). =] I'm also the world's worst delegator: I would much rather do something myself than try to follow up and make sure someone else did it or worse, have to re-do it after they did it wrong.

Jane said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog (you knew me in a previous life as ExpatKat.)

This piece sounds just like me. I have terrible trouble asking for help. I've always done things on my own. I've also had to 'learn' to delegate and then accept that someone else won't always do the job to my standards. Not easy.

Thanks for the book recommendation too. TLG and I will include it in our cosy time.