Monday, August 4, 2008

Projects and Summer Vacation

I have come to the realization that I will run out of summer long before I run out of projects. I am also still keeping my New Year's Resolution in mind. I think my Campfire girl oath is still running through my head, "I will finish what I begin."

Ducky took the boys camping Saturday night and I got the rare luxury of having the house all to myself. I had 19 hours to call my own and see what I could get done. My goal, get my room clean and organized. I want to actually use my room. I want to stop referring to it as the pit of despair.

I remained incredibly focused for me. I unearthed the most interesting things. I found utility bills from 12 years ago, 12 years! I found notes from students telling me how awesome I am. Those made me feel better. I found letters from my grandparents. The ones from my grandma made me cry. I miss her, she was my most favorite person in the world. I found a letter from my dad that was touching.

My shredder was used so much it overheated and shut itself off. I recycled and purged and cleaned and organized. I worked for nearly eight hours. And then I went to bed.

Just as I was falling asleep, I heard the possessed toy. So at one in the morning, I set out to find it. I searched the boys room, I searched the guest room, I searched the family room. I found it in the dining room on its side. I set it upright and assumed that I had solved the problem. Except at 5:56, Spiderman was webslinging again. And there was too much light in the room and I got woken up just enough that I couldn't go back to sleep. Not that I didn't try, this was my day to sleep in, damn it. Now I had the very real fear that I would be struck by a migraine and my Sunday would be ruined. I didn't, it waited until Monday.

I gave up, ate breakfast and got two more hours of work in. I can see the end. About three more hours and it should be done. I will do the happy dance and start doing projects in there. There is a chair so Ducky or the boys can come hang out with me. Or I can escape and read. And I will get to cross one more thing off my to do list.

5 comments:

LCM said...

Isn't that sense of accomplishment awesome? Good for you, for sticking to it. Sorry about that migraine. I hope you are able to escape soon and read a really good book!

Ranell said...

Things are SO much easier to get done with no kids around. It's amazing what a difference it makes! The problem is, we want to pamper ourselves when there are no kids around, too. You did a better job of staying focused than I would have. Great job!

-Ann said...

Well done on the cleaning. When we sold our house, I spent an entire day just shredding all the bank statements and utility bills and junk mail that had accumulated in 3 years.

Jadie said...

It was fun to hear about this in person and then read about it on the blog!

laurie said...

you are a driven woman! i like that kind of purging, too, but maybe only for an hour or two. then i, like your shredder, overheat and must shut myself off.