Sunday, July 6, 2008

My Little Homebody

I have come to the conclusion that sweetE is a hard core homebody. I believe he has inherited his hermit tendencies from me. Ducky cannot understand how I can hole up in the house all day. Or go days without going outside. But I do. And I appear to be passing that on.

We will be out running errands or playing in the park and before long I hear "Mommy, can we go home now." Wait five minutes and then it repeats. When asked if he wants to go to x, y or z, he replies, "I want to stay home." And I don't blame him because half the time I agree.

I blame part of my hermit tendencies to growing up on a farm. If you ventured outside, you got put to work. It was dirty and often you had to deal with animal poop. So I stayed inside as much as I could. Usually with my nose stuck in a book. Imagining my life far, far away with better scenery and different people. I think I just got used to it.

Ducky said that as a kid his mom would just send him out to play. His first question when he gets home, "Have you been outside yet?" Most of the time we can answer yes. We just might not have been out there very long.

In another year or two I imagine we will be out there more. There will be some real shade in the backyard and that will make it much more appealing.

In the meantime, "Can we go home now?"

2 comments:

LCM said...

My husband is the homebody. I used to be one too when going out meant vast amount of child gear. Now that the girls don't require a diaperbag, stroller, playpen, high chair, etc, I don't mind going out and finding stuff to do. Don't get me wrong, there is still a large pile of books waiting for my nose. Do you think wearing glasses just makes us predisposed to reading vast amounts?

Carolyn said...

Csilla and Balazs are both homebodies, so I guess that makes me one too, right?

(And ps - this is from so long ago, but thanks for the tip about the pollen forecast site. It doesn't work in Canada, but I can get the came info on our Weather Network web site. Thanks anyway!)