Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The History of My Travels

I started a post on my San Diego trip yesterday and it just never happened. I realized that a peek into my traveling past will illuminate my thoughts on vacations.

Growing up my family did not travel. There was one trip to the beach. We would go to visit grandparents and aunts and uncles in neighboring states. Our main type of travel was to every horse camp within a 50 mile radius of where we lived. Many of them multiple times. I did not get on an airplane until I was 21. I have not left the country except three times, all three just squeaking into Canada for part of a day.

To this day, I do not like horses and I only tolerate camping. So I was always in awe of people that traveled. I vowed to travel when I grew up.

Before we left for this recent trip, Ducky and I were debating when our last vacation trip was. I define travel in three categories, vacation, visiting and camping.

Visiting is when you travel somewhere to visit someone. You are seeing relatives or friends. You generally stay at their house. You feel indebted to them and therefore tread carefully while there. You operate on their schedule and feel like you have a chaperone. I realize that not all house guests feel this way. Sometimes people treat your house as their own hotel and that works for some hosts. But I am not one of those people in either category. So while visiting is fun and rewarding in its own way, it doesn't have the same feel as a vacation. Visiting has allowed me to see Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Michigan and LA. All of those visits had great memories. But they also had significant constraints.

A vacation is where you travel somewhere far enough away that you don't still feel like you are in your backyard. There are no visits planned other than maybe meeting someone for a meal. You are free to chose the activities and places that you want to experience. You don't always feel like you need to be on your best behavior. You can take a nap in the middle of the afternoon and not worry about anyone else's schedule. I have now had three vacations in my life. The first, my honeymoon in 1993. We went up to the Puget Sound area and Victoria, B.C. It was the ultimate vacation on a budget. We had no money and didn't realize that wasn't going to change for a very long time. Our second was in college two years later, 1995, to San Francisco. We mistakenly assumed that once we got out of college we would have enough money to do some real traveling. But that we should take advantage of the fact that now we had time. So we charged ourselves a vacation. It was fun, we decided each day what we wanted to do and then off we went.

Thirteen years later, we finally go on vacation again. All that money we thought we would have after graduation? Spent on grad school and student loans. We have two mortgages, one for our home and one for our educations. So here I am all these years later still in awe of people that get to travel, watching my friends take yearly vacations. But we are working on finding ways to travel more, remodel the house, pay off student loans and save for retirement.

The last category is camping. It is too much work and I don't like to be dirty. So we have camping equipment, but we haven't really used it since sweetP was one. We took him camping. He loved it, but it took us two months to get him sleeping through the night again.

Tomorrow I will begin to share the grand adventure that was San Diego.

6 comments:

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hi Amy,

I think your definitions are right on. Although I personally LOVE camping because of the lack of technology. I want to be away from the computer, the phone, etc. I love watching the kids figure out what do to without all of that.

Most of our "vacations" are visiting family. This is due to the fact we live in different states from both sides of the family. We have had a few true vacations. In fact, I am very much looking forward to our vacation without the kiddos in October.

That being said, I do enjoy visiting and try to add in as many "vacationy" things as I can. :-) I so look forward to hearing about your San Diego trip.

LCM said...

Again, I am shocked at the similarity in our growing up! Well, without the horses. We would go to the beach and then to my grandparents and that was it. We got to start traveling more because Hubby would have business trips and I would just buy a ticket and his business would pay for the hotel and meals. I was so excited when his region included Hawaii.
As for the camping, you should check out Yurts in the Oregon state parks. Just enough camping for Hubby, not too much camping for me and they have real showers and bathrooms! We got the $33 a night and it came with amenities.
We are finally to a time when we are going to get our passports! Yippee.
PS, did I mention when I stayed at my parents I would vacuum and make dinner and clean bathrooms to make it 'easier' for my parents.

laurie said...

sounds like san diego was a long time a-coming.
my folks had no money but believed that travel was important, so as we reached our teen years, they sent each one of us on a trip, one at a time, summer after summer.

they were all "visiting" trips, as you describe, and i have no idea how they swung it financially, but they did it.

and so i flew -- standby--for the first time the summer i was 14, headed off to las vegas to visit my cousin.

i look forward to hearing about sandiego

Potty Mummy said...

Great definitions Ped - and I totally agree with them. Am with you too on the guests using the house as a hotel. Luckily for us, our place is too small for many people to want to do that. I knew there had to be an advantage to living in restricted space!

Carolyn said...

I'm not a visitor or a camper, but I sure do love to vacation! I agree with Ped - great definitions.

Jane said...

Perfect definitions, Ped. ExpatOwl and I were just talking about this yesterday. Although we've moved internationally, we've not vacationed in the true sense of the word. Any money was always spent visiting family or camping. We haven't had a 'proper' vacation (where I don't cook or clean) for over 14yrs.
That's life with 3 children and am aversion to debt, I guess.